OAR UPDATE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, OAR is working with other organizations to provide services to those experiencing homelessness in Ithaca. This grassroots group was convened by Liddy Barger of the Human Services Coalition of Tompkins County and includes The Reach Project, Inc, Family & Children's Service of Ithaca Outreach workers, Second Wind Cottages, St. John's Community Services, the Salvation Army, United Way of Tompkins County and others. REACH is providing telemedicine services and others are delivering meals, providing portable showers, handwashing stations, and laundry vouchers. Richard Rivera of OAR has been the OAR worker on the ground and in the field. OAR hopes this collaboration continues past this pandemic.
Opportunities, Alternatives, and Resources
Our mission... For over forty years OAR has been protecting the civil liberties of those incarcerated in the Tompkins County Jail through:
- Assumption of innocence until proven guilty: This is our foundation.
- Ensuring legal representation in the case of indigence: OAR conducts Assigned Counsel intakes four days a week in the Tompkins County Jail.
- Bailing eligible individuals pre-trial: Individuals bailed pre-trial are less likely to be convicted of the crime for which they are accused.
- College Initiative Upstate: In 2016, a reentry education program joined OAR. CIU's mission is to create pathways to and through college for court involved and/or formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Endeavor House: Home. Transitional Sober Housing.
OAR's Wish List
TCAT Monthly Bus Passes
Wal-Mart & other Gift Cards
Men’s Socks and Underwear (New)
Women’s Socks, Underwear, and Bras (New)
Towels, Wash Cloths, and Hand Towels (New or Gently Used)
Toothpaste and Toothbrushes
Toiletries: Shampoo, Conditioner, Soap, etc.
Feminine Hygiene Products
Laundry Detergent & Cleaning products
Every little bit truly counts and makes a difference in our client's lives!!!
Your generous and greatly appreciated donations can be dropped off at our office, located at 910 W. State St. Ithaca, NY, between 9am-3pm. Please call (607) 272-7885 to make other arrangements.
Drop-in hours are from 9:00am-1:00pm M-F*
By appointment only 1:00pm-4:00pm M-F*
*Summer and Holiday hours may differ. OAR is closed on federal holidays. OAR also follows the weather closings at Ithaca City School District.
The staff at OAR are proud to provide a Drop-in Center that helps to better equip those who have been incarcerated or court involved with the means of clothing, internet access and phone use.
Clients and their families use our Drop-In Center for a vast array of services. These include:
- Making appointments
- Use of Internet Computer
- Getting in touch with family members
- Conducting job and housing searches
- Getting referrals for other human service agencies
- Staying up-to-date on current events
We strive to smooth your personal re-adjustment after leaving jail/prison and help you advocate for the rights you are entitled to.
We assist you through every step of your transition back into everyday life and also help with follow-up case management. Internet access, message boards, a free local phone line, and books are all available for you to use.
Volunteer with Us
We always welcome volunteers to help with jail transportation and office support tasks.
Email us using the form below to get involved.
"How fortunate we are to have a progressively minded Mayor who is open to and supportive of the work we do at OAR & CIU. Sitting down with Mayor Svante Myrick to discuss the innovative ideas and approaches to the field of reentry was a rewarding experience."